[Arm-netbook] Reverse Engineering Tegra2 GPU

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:11:54 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> Luke,
>
> IIRC you mentioned you had some contact with the guy(s) who reverse
> engineered the Nvidia GPU so that an OSS driver could be written and
> that the word was that Tegra2 was a not very different from their
> desktop GPUs.

 yes.  although he said also that it's easier because everything's in
userspace and also there's no FIFO, everything's memory-mapped.  so
you just poke around in userspace and you're done.

> Could you please point me in the direction of the people in question?

 huh.  i didn't already??

> I'd be happy to donate an AC100 to the cause of reverse engineering the
> GPU in the interest of enabling the creation of an OSS driver.

 i think you'll find he's already got one.

 http://marcheu.blogspot.com/2010/05/looking-at-tegra2.html

 i'm actually quite tempted to say i'll take you up on that instead,
as if i wasn't doing enough already :)  of all the GPUs i think if
this one has such a simple design and also if the tegra 3 has such a
damn good spec it would be worthwhile tackling that one just to get
_some_ decent FSF-endorseable modern CPU out there.