[Arm-netbook] Port to 2.6.39.4 WIP

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Jan 12 10:26:56 GMT 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 01:47:01 -0800 (PST), Alec Ari <neotheuser at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm more than half way done porting the Allwinner A10 kernel code
> to a newer kernel release; 2.6.39.4. I am making changes to the code
> only when necessary and trying to keep things as close to upstream as
> possible, making future updates easier and less of a hassle. I was
> wondering if it would be OK to push the changes into the custom head I
> have created; lichee/for-next, that way at least developers can look
> it over and make more changes where necessary. I'm also removing an
> absolutely insane amount of whitespace at the same time during the
> port, along with a lot of code clean-up.

Do you actually have write access?  If not mail me an ssh .pub key
(preferably GPG signed, if you do that sort of thing).

Other than that, I'd say go ahead -- it's not like you can really do any
damage.

Feel free to create new branches if that helps keep things clear.

If anything gets messed up, or you want branches removed, say, feel free
to ask.

> While all of this may be great news, there is one problem... None of
> this code can be tested atm. I was wondering if I could post the patch
> up anyway, that way developers such as myself, could work with
> cleaner, nicer, and newer code when the boards start really moving.

Sounds great to me.

> If anybody has any objections before I push the code into
> lichee/for-next, thinks it's a waste of time, pointless due to no
> testing, or just not interesting, let me know. Thanks!
>
> ...I have way too much time on my hands.....

I sadly don't, so I won't be looking at it myself in the short term, but
I'd assume that others will, and there's not really any cost to
publishing it, so if you've done work you should publish early and often
:-)

Cheers, Phil.