[Arm-netbook] IR controller in Allwinner 10

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:39:52 GMT 2012

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Iliya Georgiev <ikgeorgiev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I found on Allwinners site a diagram showing the A1X chip family has an
>> infrared controller. It can be useful for remote control device if someone
>> wants to use the product as IPTV.
>
> It is probably IRDA which is a way tablets communicate data. That is
> incompatible with consumer IR.
>
> A GPIO timer pin works just fine as an interface to an IR receiver
> chip. The IR receiver chip demodulates the IR signal down to baseband.
> Then the timer GPIO times the edge transitions. The timing of the edge
> transitions is fed into the kernel's IR subsystem.

 ... at which point, it would be possible to support, in software,
absolutely any protocol rather than the one dictated by the hard-coded
decision made for the CPU.
 [thanks for answering this jon]

 Iliya, hi,

 here is where the pinouts for the expansion header are being
evaluated, see section "Features".
 http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders/

 each set of pins on the expansion header is *only* going to be
accessible when the PCB is used for "factory installation" purposes or
for R&D, experimentation or other small-volume (under 10,000 units)
purposes.

 that having been said, i'm looking for compelling reasons to include
specific features on it - as well as compelling reasons to add an
extra expansion header.

 btw there is now a list of the full pinouts descriptions in the kicad
library component at http://git.rhombus-tech.net/eoma

 to help with that evaluation i've created a pinouts page which has an
overview of the functions (including multiplexed ones) of each pin
group.