[Arm-netbook] $250 Dev Kit

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Jan 6 11:06:50 GMT 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:44:08 +0000, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>
> > business sense for them. One of these days, another commercial company
> > is going to come up with a product that is based on the first one and
> > fail to release their "embrace and extend" features back with sources.
>
>  ... you mean like openmoko, mysql and oracle, trolltech and nokia?
>
>  openmoko promised to keep the svn for the GTA02 up "forever": i found
> a post on the qi-hardware list asking if it would be ok to mirror the
> svn.openmoko.org repositories - they then went onto GTA03, "promising"
> to release the schematics later... but they took svn.openmoko.org
> *down* in order to keep the GTA03 schematics "secret".  now you can't
> _get_ the openmoko schematics [for the GTA02].  and now look where
> openmoko is.
>
>  trolltech always released GPL code... 6 months late.  now they've
> been bought by nokia: nokia's smartphone is now under offer to be
> bought by microsoft:
> http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/12/01/05/2325227/microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-nokias-smartphone-division

Oh, how very surprising.

Why is Mr Elop not behind bars for market manipulation BTW?

Is this not the man who announced that Nokia would jump off it's own
ship, to MS, thus driving Nokia's share price over a cliff (and MS's up
a bit, IIRC, not sure about that though) and then sold his substantial
MS shareholding to buy a much bigger wedge of Nokia than he'd have got a
month or two earlier?

Also, why are the Nokia shareholders letting him do it -- I'm
flabbergasted that they didn't kick him out as soon as it was apparent
that he still owed fealty to Redmond -- actually, why they let him in
the door in the first place, is what really puzzles me -- if an outsider
like me can read the writing on the wall, why cannot they?

Cheers, Phil.