[Arm-netbook] RAM and x86 CPU prices

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 10:12:20 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>  On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 09:43:22 +0000, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>> of all the spam i get when people don't listen to the buying leads i
>> put out last year this is one of the most interesting.  look at the
>> price of DDR3/1333 1gb: it's *less* than DDR2/800mhz 1gb or even
>> DDR2/667mhz.
>>
>> and 2gb DDR3/1333mhz is only $2 more than 1gb DDR3/1333mhz!
>>
>> isn't that just... nuts?
>
>  And now you understand why I have been a proponent of putting DIMM
>  sockets on ARM boards instead of using soldered-on-RAM unless you are
>  going to max out what the SoC can handle.

 yes that's the plan.

> DIMMs are dirt cheap and  flexible.

 yehhss... but you now need a CPU which can _take_ those DIMMs,
gordan.  it's worth double-checking, but i think you might find that
the bus (data) width on DIMMS is 2 to 4x what ARM CPUs can handle.
DIMMs are designed to be attached directly to the northbridge
[whatever] IC on an x86 motherboard.

  the reason why i mentioned those RAM prices is because at
mass-volume levels, when you subtract the cost of the DIMM PCB itself
you end up with a price that's staggeringly low.