[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jan 3 16:52:50 GMT 2012

 On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:45:15 +0100, Vladimir Pantelic
 <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:
> lkcl luke wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Vladimir
>> Pantelic<vladoman at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>>  and POP, so no SDRAM routing....
>>
>>   good point! hmmm.... maybe there's an advantage to POP after
>> all...
>
> in saving board space, there is. But I don't think there is non-LPDDR
> POP
> anyway...

 I don't really see a problem with POP, given that the RAM is soldered
 on anyway. If you can max out the capability of the SoC in terms of RAM
 it can handle, and you can do it using a POP arrangement, then it's a
 great idea. Sure, the ICs might be a bit more expensive, but it removes
 a lot of scope for mistakes in terms of trace lengths and timing issues,
 so it is probably worth it - not to mention that it makes things much
 more compact.

 The only case where it's an issue is where it isn't possible to get a
 big enough RAM chip. But if your SoC can only handle a gig and you can
 get a gig POP chip, go for it. :)

 Gordan