[Arm-netbook] Engineers Boost Computer Processor Performance By Over 20 Percent

Vladimir Pantelic vladoman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 09:09:42 GMT 2012

On 02/14/2012 04:37 AM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Alexander Ross<abushcrafter at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> http://news.ncsu.edu/releases/wmszhougpucpu/
>
>   ... by combining CPU and GPU to share and collaborate on tasks -
> interesting, and thank you for raising this, it's kinda relevant given
> that i have a rather important decision coming up on the internal
> architecture of the planned SoC.
>
> this dual approach looks very familiar given that i had to work with
> the Aspex Semiconductor's "ASP" technology, where you had to
> *manually* schedule data loading and I/O processing.
>
>   i can tell you right now that it was a complete f*****g bitch.

Yes of course, but that is what people programing NEON today for ARM
are doing, they have the ARM ARM open next to them and they try to
come up with optimal scheduling. Then compile and microbenchmark
and rinse and repeat. Whatever a future CPU/GPU architecture is going to
be, it will be a long time until compilers will be able to do that
optimally...