[Arm-netbook] [review] SoC proposal

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Fri Feb 10 07:30:35 GMT 2012

tor 2012-02-09 klockan 16:34 +0000 skrev lkcl luke:

>  yes.  i _did_ advise the debian developers to consider automating the
> process of rebuilding distros.  they have some rather stupid circular
> _build_ dependencies which they've managed to get themselves into by
> way of a) splitting the build (-dev) packages from the binary packages
> b) bootstrapping themselves up over NN years ago and never doing
> complete from-scratch builds, since.

Those circular dependencies very easily arise in incremental development
& packaging. And frankly from what we saw in the Fedora 15 ARM bootstrap
where F15 armv7hl was rebuilt from scratch I am not entirely sure it's
worth the effort to fully automatize how to get around them in a package
oriented distro like Fedora or Debian. And Debian is far ahead of Fedora
in managing the full rebuild process.

The split of -dev packages from the binaries were not a source of
problems in the Fedora rebuild at least. Not sure how that could cause
problems for Debian?

Regards
Henrik