[Arm-netbook] [review] SoC proposal

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:37:55 GMT 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> lkcl luke wrote:

>>> I think you need to look at this from the practical standpoint.
>>> Specifically:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there GCC support for this SoC's instruction set,
>>
>>  yes.
>>
>>> including VLIW,
>>
>>  don't know.  tensilica have a proprietary "pre-processor" compiler
>> that turns c and c++ into VLIW-capable c and c++.
>
> That sounds like another one of those hare-brained solutions like the
> JZ4760. If it's going to be mainstream, it needs to be done cleanly,
> i.e. a proper GCC back-end - preferably one that delivers decent
> performance unlike the current vectorization efforts.
>
>>> SSE,
>>
>>  what is SSE?
>
> Sorry, s/SSE/SIMD/

 ahh.  yes i believe so.

>>  already done. http://linux-xtensa.org/
>
> Good to see. Is there a dev kit availble? Rebuilding a distro in qemu is
> going to take years.

 apparently there are 2

>>> How many man-hours will that take before it is
>>> sufficiently tested and stable for an actual product that the end
>>> consumers can use?
>>
>>  don't know.  tensilica have proprietary software libraries for audio
>> and video CODECs already (obviously)
>
> Proprietary as in closed-source?

 yyyep.  good enough for commercial mass-volume purposes though.

>>> 3) How long will it take to add support for this SoC to all important
>>> packages that use assembly in places?
>>
>>  don't know, but to do so would not be smart unless it's _really_
>> critical, simple and has a big pay-off.
>
> The problem is that some packages won't build/work without it, and you
> probably know just how hairy some of the dependencies can get in a
> modern Linux distro.

 yyep :)

>>> You might have the hardware out in 18 months' time, but I would be
>>> pretty amazed if you managed to get the OSS community enthusiastic
>>> enough about this to get the whole software stack ported in an amount of
>>> time that is less than years - by which time the SoC will be thoroughly
>>> deprecated.
>>
>>  98% of what's needed is already in place.
>>
>>  the goal is: to design the architecture in such a way that the
>> remaining 2% can be done quickly and simply.
>>
>>  there's enough examples of how _not_ to do this out there such that i
>> think it would be possible to find a fast route to market in amongst
>> them.
>
> OK, OK, I'm convinced. You have pushed it into the realm of plausible in
> my mind. :)

 hehe

>>> Look at the rate of progress Linaro is making, and they have a
>>> multi-million $ budget to pay people to push things along, and an OSS
>>> community that already has ARM well boot-strapped and supported.
>>
>>  yes.  that just adds to the cost of the CPUs, which is unacceptable.
>>
>>  i'd like to apply a leeetle bit more intelligence to the task, namely
>> for example to add instruction extensions that will help optimise 3D,
>> and to say... find out how much effort it would take to port llvm and
>> to evaluate whether gallium3d on llvmpipe would be "good enough" if
>> optimised to use the 3D-accelerating instructions etc. etc.
>
> Don't put too much stock in that yet. Writing a good optimizing compiler
> that produces beneficial SIMD/VLIW binary code is _hard_.

 well, tensilica seem to have done a decent job.

> So hard that
> only Intel have so far managed to do a decent job of SIMD (SSE).

 add tensilica to the list [proprietary compiler of course... *sigh*].

> See the difference between AMD and Nvidia GPUs, for example. Radeon has
> always had much, much higher theoretical throughput, but has always
> lagged behind GeForce in practice. Unified shaders are generic so even a
> relatively crap compiler can do something sensible.

 i still don't fully grok what the heck shaders are all about.  so i
have no idea if optimising instruction sets to help _will_ help!
*wandering aimlessly*....