[Arm-netbook] [review] SoC proposal

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:11:57 GMT 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>   we evaluated the possibility of coping with 1080p30 video decode, and
>> worked out that after one of the cores has been forced to deal with
>> CABAC decode all on its own, the cores could then carry out the
>> remaining parts of 1080p30 decode in parallel, at about 1ghz, quantity
>> 4.
>
> I would not recommend fully loading the cpu while decoding video, HD
> video is becoming a commodity and people might soon use it as an "animated"
> wallpaper while doing other CPU intensive stuff

 last year the target speed was 1.5ghz, 4 cores.  this time we
envisage 8 cores at over 1.2ghz, and the cores can be made to support
VLIW which can result in 3x the effective clock-rate.  so i don't
think that CPU horsepower is something to worry about.  the only thing
that's of concern is to not put too _much_ horsepower down so that it
goes beyond the gate-count budget.