[Arm-netbook] Fwd: An open by design laptop

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 17:00:36 GMT 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at hozed.org> wrote:
>>  i'd like to get in touch with "bunnie" because as an EOMA-68 project
>> this is exactly what the arm-netbook list was formed for, originally,
>> and since then we've negotiated a deal with a company that, if
>> presented with prototypes, will pay for the hard tooling, pay a
>> royalty and get it into mass-production.
>
> Are you saying that when I produce a prototype for the http://q3u.be/,
> that this company will build a million of them?

 if it's in a product that has mass-volume appeal i.e. is a TV, a
laptop, a tablet, a desktop etc. etc. so that the route to customers
is dead easy, then i'll help put it to them.  we need 5 products
("appliances", not "chips") to put to them, in a form which they can
just drop them straight into mass-production.

the only catch: they will not pay for the cost of the development of
the prototypes.  but, if you can find a solution for that then
*great*.

 and yes, i'll prioritise products that have a significant level of
free software compliance and involvement.