[Arm-netbook] Release of SoM board KiCAD files with 2x100 pin ARM as a stepping stone

jm joem at martindale-electric.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 11:55:54 GMT 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 11:14 +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM, jm <joem at martindale-electric.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > There is also this with a 1.1GB image file you might find useful
> > to stick in a git repository.
> > http://www.gplsquared.com/mk802/mk802.html
>
>  putting anything that has a replicable sequence commands which can
> generate it is generally bad practice.  phil knows this, so it's
> reasonably safe to conclude that he most certainly won't add it, but
> just to be absolutely clear: neither should you.
>
>  on the other hand if you have a series of replicable commands which
> can *recreate* that image from all its source tarballs and building it
> entirely from scratch, then that is a perfect set of commands which
> you should most definitely add.
>
>  once that is done then working out the small differences required to
> sure the board you're working on will be a trivial task.
>
>  contrast this with having to create a means to binary-patch a 1gb
> image and you appreciate the difference in the approach and why
> committing 1gbyte binary files to a source-control system is a
> terminally bad idea.
>
> l.

I don't have a good answer.

Miniand has the sources for the Linux and I guess there isn't anywhere I
can download it, so all I can do is explain how to do it for Gambas from
sources. If someone has sources for a decent desktop Linux for A10, then
I will gladly spend time compiling it from sources and document it
in full, and create a script to do it all in one step for the MK802 with
a view to having it sufficiently documented to have it easily working
for an A10 SoM board and its variants.

I have two MK802s and miniature heatsinks at the ready to start :-)
Also a PRO-A10 developer system.

I also order pengpod on flash - so I hope to learn from that,
unless of course those guys are able to share their Linux
with the rest of the world and the effort becomes redundant.

I also order Cubies board - again I hope to learn from that,
unless again, they share their sources and the effort is redundant.

For the EOMA I also hope to make a single script if its not
redundant. But so far I haven't come across anyone that is offering up a
complete working Linux distro with sources and the know how on how
to make it fully documented from scratch.