[Arm-netbook] arm-netbook Digest, Vol 26, Issue 35

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Mon Aug 27 08:21:42 BST 2012

On 08/27/12 06:49, Ershov Sergey wrote:
>     From: lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com
>     <mailto:luke.leighton at gmail.com>>
>     To: Linux on small ARM machines <arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk
>     <mailto:arm-netbook at lists.phcomp.co.uk>>
>     Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 23:16:18 +0100
>     Subject: Re: [Arm-netbook] arm-netbook Digest, Vol 26, Issue 34
>     On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Ershov Sergey <ershovu at gmail.com
>     <mailto:ershovu at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > lkcl luke, thanks for the replies!
>      > English is not my native - I apologize for the mistakes.
>
>       no problem sah.
>
>      > How to place the component EOMA-68 ("Allwiner A10 edition") I do not
>      > understand.
>
>       ahh, right - i get it.  ok.  this is a kicad question, which really
>     is best asked on the kicad forums, not on here.  but, briefly: to use
>     a "library", you have to go into the settings and add it to the
>     project.  *then* you can use it.
>
>      > I saw the library (http://git.rhombus-tech.net/?p=eoma.git; a =
>     blob; f =
>      > pcb/allwinner_a10/library/allwinner.lib ;), I tried to find seats
>     for the
>      > component EOMA-68 ("Allwiner A10 edition") on
>     http://git.rhombus-tech.net -
>      > I could not find.
>
>       i assume you've "git clone"'d that repository, yes?
>
> With git (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_% 28software% 29) I can work.
>

>      > Now I'm trying to make a board for EOMA-68 ("Allwiner A10
>     edition") - the
>      > problem is that in addition to the connector pcmcia there are 2
>     additional
>      > connectors. Flat cables for connection greatly increases the cost
>     in mass
>      > production.
>      >
>      > Maybe there is a reference design for "MiniEngineeringBoard"?
>
>       not yet.
>
> May have deadlines availability "MiniEngineeringBoard"?
>

>      > Do not want to reinvent the wheel.
>
>       you'd be the first.
>
> An honor, but I'm afraid to make mistakes.
>

>      > Or create component "card pcmcia EOMA-68 (Allwiner A10 edition)"
>     to place on
>      > the board ...
>
>       again, you'd be the first.  please do make sure you "git commit"
>     everything then we can work on adding what you're doing to the
>     repository, later, ok?
>
> Try again to describe the problem:
> I did not find the Component EOMA-68 in the form factor "pcmcia card" to
> be placed on PCB.
>
> Please send me in the right direction.
>
> --
> Ershov

here is my spin on the situation. luke will probably correct me.

the card being proposed will be built using a standard pcmcia/pc-card
form factor. this defines the physical dimension and location of the
connector.

if you are designing/building this for an application that you have in
mind, then in that case the shape and functionality of anything that
that you attach to that card can be defined by the irish saying
"whatever you're having yourself". that is, you can pretty much decide
what to include or exclude to suit your particular application.

if on the other hand you are doing this to help the community then you
should try to follow the outline design that is proposed on the website
and/or on this mailing list.

do not be afraid to question the current design. as luke points out, you
will be the first person to build something. if you feel that a change
in the design will create something that will be useful to a wider group
of people or which will be of lower cost, then i would urge you to make
suggestions on this mailing list. the current design was proposed many
months ago and things do change rather rapidly.

sorry if my "language" is hard to understand. ask questions.

regards
--
simon