[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 10:09:53 BST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:00 AM, lkcl luke <luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:

> PixelQI screen please.

 i'm looking forward to those becoming more prevalent.  you can
actually buy them now, can't you?  i seem to remember it was possible
to order individual units, a year ago.

> Decent EFFICIENT speakers would be fantastic. It's decibels per watt,
> not more watts = more decibels. I expect it to be 1W or less but
> fantastically loud for its size.

 yeah i've experienced these types of speakers: they're absolute hell
and cause tinitis.  the level of distortion is immense, and most of
the energy goes into high frequency (hence the distortion).  to get
good sound quality, most important is to have an amplifier stage
that's more powerful than the speaker (and use its lower power range),
and to get good dynamic range you need the largest air box you can
get.

 the alternative: i do know someone who made a ceramic phased array.
got perfect acoustics using DSPs.  amazing.  anyway.  distraction.
too expensive.  pity.

> Or if the speaker is just going to be a naff one or as well as a
> speaker what about a piezo sounder? Notifications, Alarms, Anti theft,
> Wrong password, etc.

 means needing software which supports two sound devices.  bit awkward
but doable, especially anti-theft you'd end up writing that as
separate software anyway.

> A nice fat red button would be nice if it would not get in the way.
> Thinking along the lines of Self Destruct :'( or panic/oops or
> whatever button.

 :)

> Compartment and power + control for pipe, smoke/stink, flash, flare,
> thermite bomb :o.
>
> With a tablet option, GPS would make for a useful edition or could we
> have space inside for what ever we want? Whether it's a tablet or not.
> Like a USB dongle(s) or an Express card(s)?

 yes at least one expresscard (USB only)

> Rechargeable AA battery’s for the battery pack would be good?

 yes.  modular battery pack, definitely.  this is important for
air-freight shipping these days.  i.e.... you can't ship lithium by
air, it has to go by sea.  if the product's shipped separately of its
batteries, and it's possible to sell packs which take AA then at least
you can stock _something_.

> Very low power radio thing for anti leave behind alarm? Lasts longer
> the a BlueTooth one.

 good idea.