[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Aug 6 11:59:40 BST 2012

On 08/06/2012 10:53 AM, Barry Kauler wrote:
> Guys,
> I haven't read through all of this thread (there are 91 posts!) so
> excuse me if my comments have already been discussed...
>
> I did see some posts about 10 inch screens have very high resolutions
> these days, driven by the tablet market, and 11-12 inch screens being
> less-available.
>
> However, from a saleability point of view, a "netbook size" product
> should go for the biggest possible screen, with thin bezel.
>
> That would be a 11-12 inch screen. The product would be distinguished
> from all the 10 inch predecessors, it would be more attractive to
> buyers. The thinnest possible bezel is noticed by the discerning buyer
> who is looking for biggest screen in most-portable product.
>
> Also, "old eyes" (like mine) are happier with a bigger screen. Even if
> technically I would be able to see a 10 inch screen with the same
> number of pixels, just as well, by perhaps being just a tad closer, my
> prejudice is that I want the bigger screen.

The problem is that 11-13" screens don't have high-res options
available. You can get a 1920x1200 10" screen, but you cannot get that
in 11, 12, 13 or 14" sizes. The next screen size with that res available
is 15.4".

That means that in the 11-14" range the requirements for higher res AND
bigger screen at the same time cannot be reconciled.

Gordan