[Arm-netbook] Android 4.0 with 512 MB RAM - works well ?

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Mon Aug 6 11:11:15 BST 2012

On 06/08/2012 16:22, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Many Chinese vendors those days are selling Android 4.0 with 512 MB
> RAM. (including Smartphones and Allwinner A13-based tablets)
>
> How well such combination works in practice ?
> Is 512 MB enough for A4.0 + multi-tab browsing, say 8 tabs opened ?
> Or put it otherwise: How often does A4.0 kills apps due to lack of RAM
> vs. 1 GB of RAM devices ?

I find it works well for my use. My main problem is that my tablet is
using a WiFi kernel module, and tries to load/unload it each time WiFi
is started/stopped. When the tablet comes out of standby, WiFi will
often fail due to lack of memory, so I have to kill tasks before I
enable Wi-Fi. I don't really need to use multi-tab browsing on a tablet
so I can't commented on your exact question, but I've noticed the
browser used is really important. The stock browser gives poor
performance, and I find the best out there is Opera Mini.

Jean-Luc