[Arm-netbook] Good netbook based on Cortex-A9

Wojciech Meyer wojciech.meyer at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 6 01:12:44 BST 2012

Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> writes:

> On 08/05/2012 11:13 PM, Wojciech Meyer wrote:
>
>> Partial responsibility for this situation (a very good netbook for
>> bargain price), are the reviews on the internet which marked down the
>> netbook significantly, which is actually good.
>
> The big problem is that it came with Android as standard. Android
> without a touchscreen was always going to be a recipe for disaster. I
> still cannot believe Toshiba did that. Seriously - what were they
> thinking. If they'd shipped them pre-loaded with a proper Linux distro
> it would have been a lot more successful.

Linux distro still scares most of the "normal" people still! :-)

Also, we are not there yet with ARM, there is a project called Linaro
which is fixing that now, but still plenty to do. Of course for we are
getting toward good driver stacks for semi-desktop machines with an
application level software.

>> Of course it's also a lack of support for the mainstream desktop OSes,
>> which also doesn't hurt me at all.
>
> Ubuntu actually supports the AC100 quite well.

Yes, but I meant here the popularity of the product - and the mainstream
OS' means here: Windows :-)

>> M$ has already ported windows 8 onto ARM, seeing increasing interests,
>> in the A class embedded devices and growing user base of Android and iOS
>> - which is also obvious - but a bit late.
>
> Yeah, but nobody uses that, do they? ;)

Wouldn't be beneficial for ARM ecosystem to get that sorted? :)
We don't need to use it, for me windows doesn't need to exist.
But Toshiba Ac 100 would have much better reviews if only ran
windows.. scary but true.

>> People that do want a keyboard instead of tablet, are usually simple
>> users that either want high end performance to play desktop games or
>> just use office, so having no windows is an obvious downside (as what
>> they perceive). That's perhaps why Smartbooks failed.
>
> I very much doubt anyone buys a netbook to play high end games on it.
> And Ubuntu has had OpenOffice running on ARM for a while.

Of course that's the first group, which can't use netbooks at all,
because of the performance and the screen size. Maybe I was not clear
here.  OTOH the second group needs the Windows eco system, it's not only
the office as such, but other software that just will not run on ARM
(yet?).

To give an example, I do all my work on Linux box at my daytime job, but
I need to use bloody VM to book my holidays or expenses, just because
the web interface needs windows (not even IE only, the use dlls on a
client side driven by IE specific extensions)! And since I am not
booking expenses that often as business or sales people I am not in sh*
(but I would be, if I didn't have windows at all).

>> AC100 looks like a perfect choice for me, as I mostly do software
>> development on a console based programs, and some PDF reading, and stay
>> mostly in tiling WM and Emacs, performance is not as important as
>> portability.
>>
>> Can't wait until will take my AC100 for a trip or to coffee shop.
>
> It's about 90% perfect in most ways. The only thing it could do with is
> more RAM. Everything else I've managed to upgrade myself. But 510MB of
> usable RAM is reasonably livable with, especially if you have decently
> performing storage like a SuperTalent RC8. Expensive but very much worth it.

Thanks, that really encouraged me even more :-) I will go for RC8 at
some point...

> Have fun. :)

Will have,  cheers! :-)

BTW, I'm really a complete hardware noob - any websites with tutorials
or shops that sell ready to go basic kit of electronic tools? What kind
of things do I need to have to start playing with it to the level I am
able to install RC8 on my own without breaking the device? Comments on
that much appreciated.

>> I looked at Efika, but it seems to be Cortex-A8, and also I didn't like
>> it as AC100.
> It is an inferior machine in almost every way. The main advantage it has
> is that it ships with Linux and is quite well supported. If you are
> willing to get your hands a little dirty, the AC100 is way, way better
> in every way.

I am not scared to swap kernel, install patches, suck the meat from the
git, or even get my hands dirty with the kernel. (not much experience in
that area but it's pretty much workable in short time I suppose).

Thanks,

--
Wojciech Meyer
http://danmey.org