[Arm-netbook] bees

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 17:05:27 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM, moo cow <magcrap at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tzafrir,
>
> hi,
>
> without wanting to get off topic (Allwinner A10 ;-) :
>
> Normally I would agree with you, particularly after reading the rantings of
> scientific illiterates on a mission like one of our MP's in the UK Caroline
> Lucas (Green Party)  ranting on about this issue (without any substance) by
> rote to suit her agenda (as one would expect of a highly priviledged
> privately educated individual with zero experience of the "real" world with
> a huge ego and mummy/daddy to smooth the way ;-) ).
>
> [p.s before someone asks what do i know ...  i started out as a PhD Research
> Chemist many years ago although my speciality was anti cancer drugs]

 ah you've heard of dr gershen, then? :)

> but on this particular issue the EPA study that i BELIEVE was used to gain
> approval for its use was flawed (alledgedly paid for by Bayer and other EPA
> scientists subseqently poopoo'd it) so if thats true then it should be
> immediately withdrawn on that basis alone.

 ouch.

> the other discussuion ive not seen is that of alternatives to it which is
> also important to consider in its withdrawal .. as if there are some (even
> if more expensive) then fine if there are none then that may be an issue in
> pest plagued countries/areas.

 ta ian.

 you've seen the slashdot article which well kinda confirms that avaaz
is along the right lines, but it's more complicated than they make
out: it's the *combination* of pesticides and also the use of
high-fructose corn syrup which is wiping them out.  yes, great, weaken
a bee's immune system then feed them crap and wonder why they don't
live, that would be like silly all on its own, but it's the _sheer
scale_ of the commercial exploitation of bees - the monoculture
feeding practices - which is the problem.

 hmm, i'm sure there's a lesson / analogy in there for computing....

 anyway, please if you're so inclined, do sign and pass on that
petition.  avaaz are extremely effective at bringing pressure to bear.