[Arm-netbook] bees

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Apr 27 11:33:26 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 08:01:01AM +0100, lkcl luke wrote:
> wouldn't normally consider doing this sort of thing but this is kinda important:
> http://www.avaaz.org/en/bayer_save_the_bees/?cl=1773112325&v=13920

Specifically, Colony Colapce Disorder (CCD)[1] has been a known syndrom
of bee colonies in recent decades. Many researches have been done to try
to find its causes. Only recently some new researches[1] suggest that
some specific pesticides may be the cause. They were considered earlier
on (as many other factors), but the dose discovered there did not seem
to be lethal.

It turns out that the dose was not lethal out-right. It did not kiil the
bees. Rather it confused them. In the long run the confused bees did not
function well enough and colonies could collapse.

Initial researches were published in March this year. I'm not exactly
sure how well-verified are those findings (they seem to be)[2]. Completely
halting the usage of pestecides even when no bees are around is
non-sense. It will cost you in croft needlessly destroyed by pests. More
reaserch is needed to show how much is this a problem and new safely
regulations should be written.

CCD has a huge financial impact (bees are not only used to produce
honey). No need for you to boycot Bayer just because of it.

Needless to say, that the link you provided provides no extra
information. It just begs you to spam others with the link.

Also note that the Bayer shareholders meeting[3] has been held today (3
days after the note was published on 24-Apr, not 24 hours). So no need
to spread this link anymore.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

[2] It's important to have verified results. A few years ago a
badly-made research "showed" that CCD is cause by cellular network
transmissions.

[3] http://www.asm2012.bayer.com/

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | tzafrir at jabber.org | VIM is