[Arm-netbook] Fwd: Notification from Dropbox

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Apr 19 17:13:14 BST 2012

Alejandro Mery wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 17:06, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>> Weird. How big is the actual file? I would expect a reasonably
>> minimalistic rootfs to compress down to < 150MB, which I wouldn't expect
>> to get noticed.
>
> it's a dd image of a 4GB SD card

That doesn't mean it should be significantly bigger than the tar ball if
it was made cleanly. If you have a recent e2fsprogs and kernel you
should get discard support on MMC, so a mkfs should blank all the unused
blocks (i.e. those should all compress to not far from 0 bytes).

 From there on if you only did a minimal clean install (or extracted a
rootfs tar ball), the compressed dd image shouldn't be _much_ bigger
than a tar ball of the rootfs.

Having said that, is there a good reason why a tar ball wouldn't be more
useful anyway? It would let people format up the SD card in a way that
may be more suitable to that particular card (e.g. different erase block
sizes, etc.). SD cards are sufficiently slow that every small thing like
that helps to make the performance bearable.

Gordan