[Arm-netbook] http://sunlike.en.alibaba.com/product/540853869-209760584/10_2_BOXCHIP_1_2GHz_google_android_4_0_netbook.html

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:11:18 BST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Tom Cubie <mr.hipboi at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If only 16:10 was an option, that would mean the 1920x1200 panel going
>> into the Asus Transformer Prime HD would also fit...
>
> I have asked one of their sales why them don't use a touch screen. He said
> it's depends on the customers' needs. The cost is a main reason.

 yes.  that's quite usual.  i've been in touch with these companies
before, when they make laptops (this list was started over 2 years ago
to get a group buy for the CT-PC89E, which turned out to be GPL
violating.... argh).

 yes, a resistive touchpanel would add.. what... $5 to $8 to the BOM?
and as it's quite large, a capacitive touchpanel would add something
like... $50 possibly more.  so the question is: why in god's name
would you want to price yourself out of a perfectly good market, when
the laptop has like... y'know.... a mouse pad on it? :)

 plus, the weight of capacitive touchpanels is something that people
forget about.  they're _heavy_ - they're yet another layer of glass:
that's at least... what... 350g?  we had enough problem with the
GPL-violating CT-PC89E samples tipping backwards and that was
*without* a touchscreen (at all)!

 there's no hard drive needed in these lower-cost machines, and
because they're lower power, it's hard to justify a larger battery.
so you end up putting a lump of metal in at the front, just to
counterbalance it :)