[Arm-netbook] Framebuffer support - Mele A1000

cnxsoft cnxsoft at cnx-software.com
Fri Apr 6 09:28:38 BST 2012

On 23/03/2012 04:57, Alejandro Martínez wrote:
> If I'm not wrong, the framebuffer console was broken :(
>
> I tried it on my tablet and it just didn't work (no screen output). I
> think Tom tried it too and it didn't worked, and reported it to the
> girl who took care of that part. Although given the Mele is a
> different device, it might *just work*, but don't be surprised if it
> doesn't.
>
> Also, there's no need at all to overwrite the default u-boot over adb.
> This can be used: http://rhombus-tech.net/a10_mmc_boot/
> A mksunxiboot bootable SD will just boot on any device (even bricked
> ones) without any need to even touch the NAND.
>
> Oh, and the device is rooted, so no problem with that :)
>

> Alejandro
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:54 PM, Peter Steenbergen
>
>     This is for one of the few people that already have the Mele A1000
>     device (I hope Tom puts me on the list for the second batch, so I
>     can get a cheap and fast delivery for my own device).
>
>     Looking at the Rhomtech hacking howto at;
>     http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/hacking_the_mele_a1000/
>     You need to have the UART connection to have the u-boot and linux
>     console. Can someone of you guys apply the following kernel tweak
>     (make arch=arm menuconfig) and boot with that kernel
>
>     Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Console display driver
>     support ->
>     [*] Framebuffer Console support
>     [*] Map the console to the primary display device (<- Optional,
>     try the first one first)
>
>     The above might re-route the linux console to the HDMI and/or VGA
>     display device.
>

>     Next steps would then be;
>     1) Make sure U-boot automatically boots from MMC when the proper
>     files/partitions are in place at the card
>     2) Changing the default android install, such that it allows ADB
>     over TCP
>
>     |setprop service.adb.tcp.port5555
>

>     stop adbd
>     start adbd|
>
>     Or by using one of the "adb over wifi" apps. (Is the android
>     firmware on the device rooted?)
>

>     If we activated ADB over TCP and make sure we have an auto-boot
>     mmc kind of u-boot ready. We can push the uboot image to the
>     device over the network and the kernel will use framebuffer
>     support to send the console to the normal display device.
>
>     Then other people can just download the proper uboot image, push
>     it to the device over TCP, and boot the kernels and linux variants
>     without even opening up the device. No need for cables inside the
>     device.
>
>     But let's start with getting the console to the right place.

In the instructions (and .config), I can see the display drivers are
built as modules

 1. copy A10 display kernel module to rootfs disp.ko, lcd.ko, hdmi.ko
    copy to lib/module/xxxx/

This could be the reason the framebuffer console does not work.
I've built a kernel with fb console and display driver built in the
kernel.  Changes in the config:

Device Drivers -> Graphics support -> Console display driver support ->

[*] Framebuffer Console support

Device Drivers -> Graphics support ->
[*] HDMI Driver Support (sun4i)
[*] DISP Driver Support (sun4i)
[*] LCD Driver Support (sun4i)

I haven't received the hardware yet, so If somebody wants to try, the
kernel image (zImage) can be downloaded at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45842273/zImage_A10_fbconsole