[Arm-netbook] Embedded Open Modular Architecture

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 20:45:23 BST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 09/05/2011 04:49 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> for example i originally thought of doing 2x 5.0v and 4x 3.3v pins,
>> but then i realised that, actually, that's a hell of a lot of power!
>> it's 5 watt plus 6.6 watts, and there's no way that you can dissipate
>> that much heat!  so, 3.3v LDO ICs being damn cheap, i figured it's ok
>> to expect 5.0v @ 1amp and to do conversions to all power levels
>> required, on the PCMCIA card itself (PCMCIA pins are 0.5A each).
>>

> Moving that much heat away from a board of this type is not a problem,
> even without fans.

 :)

> Enclosures and thermal management seem to be considered 'black arts'. I
> guess they don't teach EE's about this since it helps products die
> around the time the warranty is up.

 *grin*.  yeah my friend geoff knows his stuff - but the real issue is
that many chinese OEMs don't!  so, i felt it safest to just say "ok,
that's the limit guys".

 funnily enough, intel's latest 1.2ghz mobile CPU would actually be ok
(apart from the complete lack of interfaces for EOMA/PCMCIA
compliance!  who in god's name does an embedded CPU with no bloody
on-board interfaces!  oh wait, intel does) - the Z510 TDP is 2W.
juuust within limits.
http://ark.intel.com/products/35469/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z510-%28512K-Cache-1_10-GHz-400-MHz-FSB%29

 hey, gosh - that's actually available on avnet and arrow.  wooow.
there's even a price - $35.  amazing.