[Arm-netbook] EOMA-PCMCIA standard and example boards

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Sep 20 11:41:20 BST 2011

On 09/18/2011 01:46 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> please note: once the factory i've been speaking to in china finish
> their current project (which looks like it's been delayed, bless 'em)
> they will start to do the Mini Engineering Board and associated PCMCIA
> CPU Card, immediately.
>
> so when i say this needs input and feedback, it means "i need input
> and feedback"!
This sounds like an interesting project. Please let me know when you
have public information on the ARM SOC. Is there a website where this
company in China will be sharing the open schematics and pcb files. How
will open hardware developers be able collaborate with this company in
China and to contribute open and publicly shared ideas for designs such
as these? Who ultimately decides what will be in designs like these?
What license will the hardware designs be under?

> or, if you can think of any other example usage, beyond a
> "self-contained reprap controller with an on-board web server" (to
> replace the existing situation which is that you have to have the
> arduino boards connected directly to an entire PC), please do say so!

I'm not certain that the repap community will care. It been obvious to
do this but some of the main developers are under the impression that it
can't work or will be very difficult for the reprap to operate that way.
I'm not sure why they are sticking to this philosophy. IMHO reprap needs
a wider variety of materials, faster print speeds and higher resolutions
than what they are currently choosing to find acceptable vs a combined
UI and machine controller. Maybe once you build it they will see it
wasn't impossible or even very difficult and why it makes sense.

> i'll get on with the task of cut/pasting more stuff out of
> http://lkcl.net/linux/modular.computing.architecture.html

Public docs for the ARM soc's will go a long way in convincing hardware
developers that a project such as this is an 'open' hardware project vs
another 'almost' open project such as openmoko.

-Bari