[Arm-netbook] EOMA-PCMCIA standard and example boards

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 22:07:16 BST 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, i've cut/paste stuff around, and would greatly appreciate some
> input and feedback on these:
>
> http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/PCMCIA
> http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/PCMCIA/MiniEngineeringBoard

> i'll get on with the task of cut/pasting more stuff out of
> http://lkcl.net/linux/modular.computing.architecture.html

here's the next one:

 http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture/PCMCIA/EngineeringBoard

this one is the "kitchen sink".  amazingly, it's actually hard to push
the BOM for that board above $USD 40 (excluding the PCMCIA CPU card,
for which we have an approximate price of $35 using an AML-8726-M).
the "Engineering Board" is the closest in size and price to
beagleboards, IMX51QSBs etc yet is still user-upgradeable.

i can't understand why this concept hasn't been done before (in this
form-factor).  it's been done loads of times in the past N decades of
computer science, but this is the point where it's got really really
interesting.

ok, enough for one day :)