[Arm-netbook] 9nov11: progress on allwinner A10

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 12:09:32 GMT 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<luke.leighton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>> On 11/11/2011 10:50 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>>
>>> oh my goodness me.  our little factory said they couldn't do 32gb NAND
>>> for $100, but would 16gb be ok?  hum i've asked them to do a quick
>>> breakdown so we can work out options :)
>>
>> Is that for the whole board or just for the NAND?
>>
>> A 32GB SD card is less than half the $100, so I'm guessing for the whole
>> board.
>
>  *lol*
>
>> What kind of write IOPS performance could one expect from it on LogFS
>> or UBIFS? What is the write-endurance of the chips?
>
>  let me find out what they can get hold of, at a reasonable cost,
> first, ok?  remember that there's a bunch of bargain-basement ICs
> flooded the market.

 achh, whoops, i forgot that thailand is underwater.

 ok i meant: you remember those industrial flea-markets i mentioned 8
months back (ok, allow me to recap: these buildings are 7 storeys
high, about the size of a football pitch per floor, stuffed on each
level with different components.  you want 5,000 NAND ICs? noo
problem, buy them cash, there and then, even go round bargaining one
person against another if you really want to and have the time - very
much like an antiques market in the UK, only 100x bigger).

 add to that the crash in prices caused by the allwinner itself
resulting in mass-cancellation of orders and there's an opportunity to
get ultra-low prices with, it has to be said, a quite random selection
of kit.

 the alternative is that we have someone go over there who has an
edietic memory and can memorise like a hundred datasheets.

 so, bottom line is: can we please go with what they can get hold of,
easily and cheaply for the first lot, and see what happens?
alternatively, if someone knows a simple way for them to identify
correctly really good stuff, please do speak up, so that i can pass it
on.  they _should_ know, but it's worth checking.