[Arm-netbook] 9nov11: progress on allwinner A10

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Nov 9 21:52:15 GMT 2011

On 11/09/2011 03:32 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>   yeah, precisely.  the question is: would a bunch of NAND ICs beat the
> price or performance of off-the-shelf SSDs with SATA-II interfaces,
> and if so, how the heck do i justify it to the factory?
>
>   btw they're set up - psychologically - for "tablets, netbooks, STBs",
> their heads would melt if i made any mention of "servers".  so i
> believe it would be sensible to get the motherboard made elsewhere /
> somehow-else: a large 2-layer board probably would do the trick, even
> using KiCAD, hell there's got to be someone around with the expertise
> to lay out some tracks to an 8-port Gigabit Ethernet IC, bung on some
> SATA interfaces x8 direct to connectors, connect some I2Csx8 to an
> EEPROMx8, it's a cut-paste job!

So don't mention servers or get them involved in the backplane. Exploded
heads are a mess to clean up as well.

You are doing a fantastic job of getting them to focus on the cpu
module. Somebody else with years or experience can easily design a
backplane. Get the standard CPU module out. People will use them without
the backplane as well. I have a possible application for thousands of
them without a backplane.

-Bari