[Arm-netbook] PCIe Graphic Chip

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Nov 5 12:34:52 GMT 2011

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Hello Luke and *,
>
> since thursday I have access to a new ARM Dual-Core (gotten it for  free
> from a Manufacturer with Fedex) with some PCIe ports and I like to build
> a PanelPC from it.

 yaay!

 oo.  can i please ask you a big big favour?  could you make it in
PCMCIA form-factor, but have expansion headers for everything that you
need, even if they are 15mm high?

> I like to know, which PCIe Graphic-Processor (with 24bit RGB  Interface)
> you would use for it.

 michelle - the really really weird thing is: there aren't any 3D, and
there was only one low-power PCIe 2D one, called the volari Z11.
that's _literally_ all i've been able to find, in 2 years.

> I mean, the µC has up to 2 GByte DDR2/3 and
>
> 2 x SATA
> 2 x Giga Ethernet  (WHY do all new µC have two GE interfaces instead one
>                                                       and one USB 3.0?)

 probably licensing... _possibly_ power.  USB3 is much higher power
requirements.

> 3 x PCIe 1x
> 4 x USB 2.0
> 3 x SDIO suporting SDXC cards (>32 GByte)
> UART, JTAG, SPI, I²C, CAN
>
> So I will attach one Dual-Port PCIe USB 3.0 Controller and have 2  ports
> free.  The Second must be used for the Graphic Chip with RGB  interface,
> because I like to attach an AUO 19" Industrial TouchScreen TFT.
>
> The third I think,  I will use it for a Mini-PCIe Card.
>
> Hmmm, maybe I will use an USB-Soundchip  for  it,  but  I  do  not  know
> currently

 genesys logic do one, costs only $1.50 in mass-volume.  and i found
another one recently, apologies can't remember what it is.