[Arm-netbook] 12in laptop story

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 22:03:56 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Forum Blogarm.net <forum at blogarm.net> wrote:

> I'm not an expert but i would suggest you to loot at TI's chips.

 have been.  DM3730 / DM3725 comes out on top...

> As far
> as I remember, they have the best linux support et ARM community I have
> ever seen.

 ... for exactly that reason.

> And you can easily inspirer yourself from their open source
> beagleboard (or even pandaboard) motherboard design.
>
> http://www.beagleboard.org
> http://www.pandaboard.org

 yes the beagleboard-xm is a good choice: i'm working with someone who
has a BBxM clone, he quoted $USD 20,000 to redesign it (and, by
contrast, $10,000 for an S5PV210-based board).

> I have a Tegra 2 ARM netbook (Toshiba AC100) and the hardware is really
> nice but the lack of support and cooperation from NVIDIA makes things
> very difficult. We are stuck with a .29 kernel and we don't have other
> choices than unstable outdated Xorg Drivers.

 the way to replace the entire OS has been discovered.  the
proprietary bootloader force-formats the NAND partition to have 6
partitions so you can't change it, but you can at least overwrite the
crap android OS completely.

 an alternative kernel - well, you'll have to forward-port the "stock"
kernel source code patches, or wait for toshiba / nvidia to do it.
shouldn't be hard.  awkward, but not hard.  git helps.