[Arm-netbook] Tegra2 OC-ing on Toshiba AC100

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Dec 31 19:09:20 GMT 2011

On 12/31/2011 06:54 PM, lkcl luke wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Gordan Bobic<gordan at bobich.net>  wrote:
>> I expect this may be of interest to some people on the lists:
>>
>> http://www.altechnative.net/?p=332
>>
>> It covers the hardware mod to improve the cooling, and includes kernel
>> patches for both unmodified 1200MHz and modified 1456MHz operation.
>
>   wild!

They OC really well. Every single 1000MHz CPU I have hits 1200MHz with
no problems. I only have one (out of 5) that won't do 1248MHz reliably
without the cooling mod (it errored out twice in the 24-hour full load
testing period, unlike the others), which is the only reason the patch
for unmodified laptops is limited to 1200MHz. I have only modified 2 so
far, but they both hit 1456 without any stability issues. The thermals
will cause a problem when the GPU starts pumping out heat, too, but
that's what nITRO is for - it throttles the CPU back to standard maximum
clock speed of 1000MHz (or whatever you configure it to) once the
temperature exceeds 90C (also configurable). The top clock speed is also
configurable (OC speeds are 1200, 1248, 1352, 1404, 1456).

>   btw turns out that the guy who did the nvidia desktop GPU
> reverse-engineering took a quick cursory look at the tegra and found
> it was "odd" but not seriously seriously different.

Does that mean he might be prepared to look into reverse engineering the
Tegra GPU in exchange for donations to the project?

It would be nice to at least have OSS supportable GPU options other than
the Volari Z11 - not that there are any GPU-less ARM boards that have a
fully wired PCIe/m-PCIe slot... The only ARM board I have seen with a
fully wired PCIe slot (alas, the AC100 only has USB lines wired up to
the slot!) is the Compulab SBC-A510, but that has a Marvell Armada 510
on it which already has a GPU of it's own.

Gordan