[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Dec 31 05:26:18 GMT 2011

On 31/12/2011 02:52, Bari Ari wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 06:06 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> On 12/30/2011 09:50 PM, Bari Ari wrote:
>>
>>> Why are there no modular laptops on the market? We'll there have been,
>>> but the sales model has been to sell everyone a completely new laptop.
>> Most laptops are quite modular, within reason. The CPU, GPU and disk are
>> replaceable on most higher end laptops. On my Clevo M860TU I can replace
>> the CPU, GPU, disk, RAM, WiFi module (it's in a mini-PCIe slot), and
>> there's still another mini-PCIe slot free. Of course the screen panel is
>> replaceable, too.
>>
>> Granted, you couldn't replace the CPU with one of a different
>> generation, but the GPU you probably could.
>>
>> All things considered - that's pretty damn modular.
> Just to be clear. What I mean by a modular laptop is a design where all
> the main components, cpu mainboard, HD, DVD, RAM, LCD, keyboard, wifi,
> and GPU are all easily swapped modules. They are easily swapped just
> like the laptop battery. Unlock or slide a couple of tabs and remove the
> module. Slide and snap the new module in place.

So the EOMA/PCMCIA card won't fulfil those requirements anyway, because
there is no DIMM slot, the RAM is built in. The built in flash can't be
changed, either. Having said that - soldered-on RAM I can just about
live with if it is the maximum amount the SoC can use, so that point is
moot here.

Gordan