[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Sat Dec 31 02:52:56 GMT 2011

On 12/30/2011 06:06 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 09:50 PM, Bari Ari wrote:
>
>> Why are there no modular laptops on the market? We'll there have been,
>> but the sales model has been to sell everyone a completely new laptop.
> Most laptops are quite modular, within reason. The CPU, GPU and disk are
> replaceable on most higher end laptops. On my Clevo M860TU I can replace
> the CPU, GPU, disk, RAM, WiFi module (it's in a mini-PCIe slot), and
> there's still another mini-PCIe slot free. Of course the screen panel is
> replaceable, too.
>
> Granted, you couldn't replace the CPU with one of a different
> generation, but the GPU you probably could.
>
> All things considered - that's pretty damn modular.
Just to be clear. What I mean by a modular laptop is a design where all
the main components, cpu mainboard, HD, DVD, RAM, LCD, keyboard, wifi,
and GPU are all easily swapped modules. They are easily swapped just
like the laptop battery. Unlock or slide a couple of tabs and remove the
module. Slide and snap the new module in place.

There have been a few vendors that had models like this. You'll have to
search the Google Wayback machine to find them.

-Bari