[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sat Dec 31 00:06:24 GMT 2011

On 12/30/2011 09:50 PM, Bari Ari wrote:

> Why are there no modular laptops on the market? We'll there have been,
> but the sales model has been to sell everyone a completely new laptop.

Most laptops are quite modular, within reason. The CPU, GPU and disk are
replaceable on most higher end laptops. On my Clevo M860TU I can replace
the CPU, GPU, disk, RAM, WiFi module (it's in a mini-PCIe slot), and
there's still another mini-PCIe slot free. Of course the screen panel is
replaceable, too.

Granted, you couldn't replace the CPU with one of a different
generation, but the GPU you probably could.

All things considered - that's pretty damn modular.

> The OS gets more bloated with every version and requires a GPU that
> supports the latest version of graphics acceleration and rendering
> software. Consumers are fooled into thinking that they need the latest
> version of OS and CPU/GPU even though they are still using it for the
> same old applications of mostly word processing, web surfing and email.

And everyone forgets we were doing all the same things on a 33MHz 486 15
years ago with perfectly acceptable performnce...

Gordan