[Arm-netbook] EOMA/CF idea

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 22:17:16 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Bari Ari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2011 02:43 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> What is the application where the end user will want to swap CPU cards?
>>

> There are large markets outside the US where consumers will be happy to
> take their cpu card and swap them between their laptop, set-top-box,
> desktop etc to keep the overall costs lower. It won't be long until this
> model is also attractive in the US.
>
> If the hard drive in your desktop PC goes out do you throw away the
> entire PC and get a new one? Maybe you do, but lots of other not as
> privileged consumers would only replace the hard drive.  Same here for
> the cpu module.
>
> Why are there no modular laptops on the market? We'll there have been,
> but the sales model has been to sell everyone a completely new laptop.
> The OS gets more bloated with every version and requires a GPU that
> supports the latest version of graphics acceleration and rendering
> software. Consumers are fooled into thinking that they need the latest
> version of OS and CPU/GPU even though they are still using it for the
> same old applications of mostly word processing, web surfing and email.

I think we will just see dirt cheap Android pads, which is pretty much
the same concept but it always includes a screen. You can already get
Android pads for $79 and prices are still falling. Some are available
for $49. These pads will be cheap enough in the future to be
considered disposable.

You can build local clouds for these pads with wifi, disk drives and
something like a Sheevaplug. Or use a public Internet based cloud.
These local clouds can service many users. You can also build them on
repurposed desktop machines.

For me, I see the bigger problem is converting 1000s of open source
apps to run in a cloud model. Hardware is not an issue, it is on a
curve where the cost of it will be tiny in a few years.