[Arm-netbook] uh-oh....

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Dec 29 02:00:54 GMT 2011

On 12/29/2011 01:36 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Gordan Bobic,
>
> Am 2011-12-28 22:24:13, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> As I mentioned before, if the devkit motherboards were available at a
>> reasonable price (Compulab make some Armada 510 boards for an almost
>> acceptable $350 (I personally find an extra $100 on top of a D2Plug
>> price tag to be worth it for ATX form factor, extra PCI/PCIe slots and
>> an extra gigabit ethernst port), but you first have to have a $900 dev
>> kit (which includes a mobo and a year's worth of support). Having a
>> higher speed dual core processor would be great.
>
> 1800 Euro for the Discovery MV78200
> 2600 Euro for the Armada 300
>
> But then, you get ALL, including techsupport from your Distributor, like
> SILICA or MEMEC (both AVNET Companies), of choice and Marvel!

Sure, but the Compulab boards are $350 (after the first one, and the dev
kit with the first board is $900). And it's still based on the Armada
510, so it's still a Marvell.

>> Won't the GPU suck up an unreasonable amount of power? What are you
>> planning to use?
>
> YES!  The smallest PCIe GPU I have found is consumimng at least 12 Watt.
> And you know, upwards is nearly no limit!
>
> I am waiting for an Open Source FPGA based graphic chip  :-D

Luke was talking about this some time ago, I'm sure you remember - but a
FPGA GPU would be dreadfully inefficient in terms of power usage.

Gordan