[Arm-netbook] Mali-400 driver status

Henrik Nordström henrik at henriknordstrom.net
Wed Dec 28 08:37:05 GMT 2011

tis 2011-12-27 klockan 18:08 +0000 skrev lkcl luke:

> >>  yes.  fortunately, most of these qualify as "system libraries" and
> >> are thus exempt under the GPL.
> >
> > Well, depends on who you ask.
>
>  richard stallman.

Well, not really. Have you asked him on this?

The "system libraries" exception in GPL is for allowing the use of GPL
programs on non-free OS:es such as UNIX.

It's not an exception allowing non-free parts in an free OS. Any such
combination is a non-free OS with all the complications in both
licensing and ethical issues.

>  you'd have to read ARM's license for MALI in this case.

Which I don't have as I do not own an ARM license.

Regards
Henrik