[Arm-netbook] Mali-400 driver status

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 23:34:26 GMT 2011

Hi,

I've taken an interest in the allwinner a10
(http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/) due to their stance on being
Free Software friendly. I know GPU drivers can be a big problem.
Allwinner specs the Mali-400, and what I've been able to find is this
page: http://www.malideveloper.com/developer-resources/drivers/open-source-mali-gpus-linux-kernel-device-drivers.php

"Note that these components are not a complete driver stack. To build
a functional OpenGL ES or OpenVG driver you need access to the full
source code of the Mali DDK, which is provided under the standard ARM
commercial licence to all Mali GPU customers."

Does anyone have experience with these drivers? Are the kernel modules
just "GPL shims" with most of the work being done in the userspace
part of the driver?

Thank you,
Vladimir Sedach