[Arm-netbook] Other distro support and newer kernels

Derek LaHousse dlahouss at mtu.edu
Mon Dec 26 04:08:36 GMT 2011

>Hello! I would like to help the software development team for the Allwinner A10. I see that on the
>kernel compilation page, you only offer support for compiling software on Debian, using the
>emdebian toolchain. I would like to make development easier for other people on other Linux
>distributions who would like to get their feet wet. This would then expand the project to a larger
>audience. I can provide documentation on how to build on other systems such as HOWTOs and whatnot.

Alex, hello.  The current state of the source appears to build a linux kernel for an Android device (crane) which uses the Allwinner A10.  I will put the list of modules on the wiki, when I can log in to it (luke, phil, openid is broken?).  As for development on other platforms, feel free to add other sections to the wiki page.  It's a straight-forward Linux kernel cross-compile.

>I would also like to help on the programming side of things. Do the developers have plans on
>working with other kernels such as post-2.6.36 or will code be mainly focused on fixing or adding
>features to the 2.6.36 kernel for the Allwinner A10?

As Luke said, one step at a time.  Alejandro, on this list, has discussed cleaning up code to get it mainlined.  I believe the same cleaning would allow using post 2.6.36 kernels, as well.  Part of the benefit of open-source code is that we can get the latests and greatests.  At least, the board-specific initialization and drivers are well-seperated, so should allow an easy upgrade path.

>The Allwinner A10 looks very promising and I would like to know what the developers might want
>help with or need assistance doing. I'm not a heavily experienced C programmer but I would like to
>contribute to the project.

More to follow.