[Arm-netbook] crowd sourcing proposal

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 22:46:52 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>>> http://wiki.hands.com//allwinner_a10/crowd_funding_proposal/
>>>
>>> I am dyslexic, so excuse any grammar mistakes - I can not see them.
>>
>>   ok, the page itself looks great - the amusing thing is that for a
>> dyslexic person you can type "wiki.hands.com" pretty well, rather than
>> "rhombus-tech.net" :)  anyway, i've moved the page to here:
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/crowd_funding_proposal/
>>
>>   ok, my immediate thoughts are as follows, please do critique it:
>>
>>   * trusting merit to create the CPU card, the next most important
>> thing is to pick a suitable chassis
>>
>>   * personally i cannot stand tablets.  they're... truly dreadful.
>>
>>   * i keep harping on about laptops, after all, duh, this is the name
>> of the list :)
>>
>>   * thus we come full circle back to 10in, 12in or 15in
>>
>>   * and gordan's mad idea for a 15in 1920x1080 laptop :)
>
> 15.4" was for 1920x1200. For 1920x1080 it was 13.3", like on the Vaio-Z. :p

 ahh.  oh ok, that's better [*quails*]

> But the real kick in the teeth is that screens based on tech that offers
> very good power consumption (OLED and PixelQi) aren't available in
> larger sizes or high resolutions. The best that is likely to be
> available in the foreseeable future is the PixelQi 1280x800 10.1"
> screen.

 at bloody last - a screen that isn't a f*****g stupid resolution.

 that would be superb.  the power requirements of 10in are about 2.5x
less than for 15in LCDs.

 http://pixelqi.com/products

 ah bugger.  it says "in development".

> I can probably just about live with that for now and break out
> my trusty ThinkPad with a 2048x1536 screen for the heavy stuff.

 yeah me too.  actually the resolution on the pixelqi screens is
1280x3 by 800.  i wish they'd done it 1280x2 by 800x2 which would give
staggering B&W usage, but that would be too much for poor old
companies who can't program, bless 'em.