[Arm-netbook] Allwinner A10: Other distro support and possibly newer kernels

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 21:45:50 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Neo The User <neotheuser at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hello! I would like to help the software development team for the Allwinner
> A10. I see that on the kernel compilation page, you only offer support for
> compiling software on Debian, using the emdebian toolchain. I would like to
> make development easier for other people on other Linux distributions who
> would like to get their feet wet. This would then expand the project to a
> larger audience. I can provide documentation on how to build on other
> systems such as HOWTOs and whatnot.

 superb.

> I would also like to help on the programming side of things. Do the
> developers have plans on working with other kernels such as post-2.6.36 or
> will code be mainly focused on fixing or adding features to the 2.6.36
> kernel for the Allwinner A10?

 personally i like taking the path of least resistance.  thus i've
found that it's better to go from a known working state and progress
from there in *small* incremental steps.

 thus, the first step will be to work with the existing code.

 after that, the next step will, again, be the path of least resistance.

> The Allwinner A10 looks very promising and I would like to know what the
> developers might want help with or need assistance doing. I'm not a heavily
> experienced C programmer but I would like to contribute to the project.

 you're a star, alec.

 one primary thing we could really do with is promotion of the project
- even if it's just discussion with friends, or at conferences etc.
etc.  if you're feeling brave, random people in the street would do :)

 and also, i'm looking for very specific type of people willing to be
sales agents for RHT.  they should be retired or semi-retired, aged 50
or above, and, best of all, *not* technically-minded.  the reason for
these criteria are that such people are financially independent,
looking for something to do that doesn't take up vast amounts of time,
and are likely willing to work on a commission basis.