[Arm-netbook] preorder and roadmap clarification

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Sat Dec 24 22:30:37 GMT 2011

On 12/21/2011 04:36 PM, lkcl luke wrote:

> * the NREs (non-recurring expenses) are $2000 per "board development
> change".  ok with each successive set, costs can be reduced a bit:
> e.g. if all the holes are in the same place on the PCB, and the board
> has the same connectors, and it's the same size, you save $500 for not
> having to redo the PCB "tooling".  basically, though, it's $2000.  at
> this stage, there will be *no* software: you'll get a board, and
> that's it.  we will all need to pitch in, munge the lichee v2.6.36
> code and get on with it.  (i also have a copy of the u-boot GPL source
> code which i will also make available closer to the time).
>
> * assuming that the factory gets things right first time (it could
> happen: this is a cut/paste jobbie from the existing Reference Design
> after all) and the alpha boards are all ok, we can go straight into
> beta with *no* NREs.  that means that the 2nd run would have more
> people, but still no OS images etc.  orders for 5 to 50 units are
> kinda ok at this point *if* you are a software developer and are
> basically happy to get involved doing u-boot, debian-installer, ubuntu
> images etc. etc.

Any chance of the community being able to review the design along the
way to save costs? There is no actual tooling anymore, just a
traditional tooling charge for time spent setting up gcodes, Gerber
files and photoplots of each layer and solder mask. I'm sure the factory
would like to minimize the time and cost to produce working boards.

-Bari