[Arm-netbook] Wifi

lkcl luke luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 18:19:13 GMT 2011

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> You might want to look at the SO-DIMM format. The are hundreds of
> boards available in that format.

 yes, i did, as part of the evaluation process:
 http://elinux.org/Embedded_Open_Modular_Architecture#SO-DIMM_form-factor

 i _used_ to be massively in favour of SO-DIMM, especially because of
the CT-PC89E laptop which kinda started all this.  the problem is
that, again, SO-DIMM CPU cards aren't user-removable.  also, the
form-factor forces the use of higher-cost high-density parts.

 with the PCMCIA CPU card, it's possible to populate the entire BOTTOM
side of the PCB with lower-cost RAM ICs, qty 8.  low-density RAM ICs
are quite a bit cheaper in mass-volume, as you can see from the
continuous drop in pricing.

 the important thing is to be in a position to "ride the wave" of
mass-volume parts.  if we picked SO-DIMM, we would be forced to use
the less-available high-density parts.  costs would automatically be
higher.

 so there is basically a hell of a lot involved in the decision-making process.

 please do keep the ideas coming because it helps review things, make
sure i haven't missed anything.

 thanks jon.