[Arm-netbook] allwinner a10 7" tablet available

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:06:05 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Alejandro Mery <amery at geeks.cl> wrote:
> Hi, I'm a kind of lost on what are you actually developing

 products (plural - including tablets, laptops, all-in-one TVs and
PCs, MIDs, STBs, PVRs) that are:

 * legal to sell because they respect and honour the GPL
 * desirable by free software developers because they helped write the firmware
 * desirable by end-users because the software's actually good
 * desirable by end-users because they're low-cost
 * desirable by end-users because they're reliable and upgradeable

 rather than being products which are inviting GPL violations, pissing
Free Software Developers off, requiring reverse-engineering, being
piles of shit that fail spectacularly on firmware upgrades (if there
is one available at all), and so on.

 that goal has not changed, will not change, has been expressed
clearly, will remain the same and will always, now and forever, be the
absolute top priority focus above and beyond _all_ else.

 in-advance compliance with the GPL is _the_ absolute top priority.
hence the reason why i'm so delighted that allwinner gave us the GPL
source code in advance, even though they didn't have to.

> and what
> hardware you have, but I just saw in tomtop's new arrivals a cheap 7"
> capacitive tablet using the SoC you are hacking. It might me
> interesting for some ;-)
>
> http://www.tomtop.com/7-allwinner-a10-cortex-a8-1ghz-android-2-3-ultrathin-5-point-capacitive-tablet-pc-wifi.html

 it's interesting (to me) from the perspective of its price being good
even though it has a capacative touch panel: it's *not* interesting
(to me) from the perspective that it is - guaranteed - yet another
GPL-violating product.

 so, thank you for reporting it - please keep 'em coming!