[Arm-netbook] [lsb-discuss] [fedora-arm] ARM summit at Plumbers 2011

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Aug 30 22:05:39 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:36 PM,  <keld at keldix.com> wrote:
>> I would relly like the dscussion to go on widely as it is now.
>> Otherwise I would probably not follow this interesting discussion.
>
>  keld, the encouragement is appreciated, and i do follow the reasoning
> (which is that, given that gnu/linux distros are at such an
> interesting threshold point, there's simply been no need for such a
> large cross-posting before).
>
>  but, i have to keep my word, and i said i wouldn't interrupt people
> on such a large scale, preferring instead that those people who are
> *actively* interested participate.  if, however, *you* - or anybody
> else feels that this topic still needs to reach a wider audience, in
> order to help things reach critical mass, please do actively bring it
> to their attention.
>
>  i have another write-up, done today, which brings together both the
> software and this time hardware strategic design concepts that i
> believe will help put control firmly back into the hands of Free
> Software Developers:
>
>  http://lkcl.net/linux/modular.computing.architecture.html

 ok, so: follow-up:

 is anyone interested to know what the costs would be, of an
engineering board conforming to the above strategy, using a low-end
Cortex A9 CPU such as the AML-8726-M? (for reference, the 8726 is
known to be between $13 to $15 depending on volume)

 does anyone have any questions, comments or suggestions regarding the
strategy to place cooperation and collaboration back at the heart of
linux kernel development?

 any ideas on how to improve the software development tools (such as
git) to help make that strategy easy to be part of the day-to-day
development process?

 perhaps most importantly, does anyone have any _better_ ideas than
what's being proposed?

 or, is everyone happy with the way that things are, and thinks that
they should continue as-is (perhaps until russell quits completely, or
linus bans ARM patches entirely from the mainline linux kernel)

 what is it going to take for people to engage on these issues?

 does anyone want to take responsibility for making sure that there is
some progress?