[Arm-netbook] "the competition" - an example 13.3in 1388x768 intel atom laptop... for $203

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 21:51:32 BST 2011

http://lkcl.net/linux/Gmail%20-%2013.3inch%20laptop%20from%20phenix.html

in amongst the copious spam i now receive, thanks to the various
buying leads i've put out, i keep getting these really rather
eye-opening but completely wrong "offers" that have absolutely nothing
to do with the original buying lead... at all :)

what's instructive about this one - and why i've copied it to the
above URL - is the price and the features.

$USD 203 for a laptop... with a 3000mAh battery, a single-core 1.6ghz
intel atom but with 1gb of RAM, a 13.3in 1388x768 LCD, a 160gb hard
drive... 802.11n WIFI and it's... $203.

now, i know that both you, mark, and you, gordan, are saying that
$300+ for an ARM-powered laptop with _only_ a 10.1in screen, even if
it's 1280x768 (or better) is justifiable, but it's not really getting
through to me.

so please be patient with me - run it by me one more time.  what
"unique selling points" are there which justify a $300+ price-tag?  i
can think of some reasons, but i'd like to go over this again, to make
sure it's clear.

really appreciated.