[Arm-netbook] ARM summit at Plumbers 2011

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:38:06 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Baybal Ni <nikulinpi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pricing:
>
> Shitty Colour TFT LCD 10" from flea market $30-40

 *lol*.  yeah those 1200x720s - even someone in france, making a tablet
there, was able to get $40 to $45 for qty 1k.

> SoC of feature range that we are targeting - $25-35 in quantities of 100k+

 waark? :)   $15!  the AML-8726-M ok it's 800mhz and only does up to 512mb
RAM is $13 to $15 in volume.  there's also a couple of other veery strange
1.2ghz Cortex A8s that are even less than that (one of them is $12).  i'll
try to find the article.

 so i'd say $25 is the _absolute_ max, and you'd get a f*****g good CPU for
that price.

Plentiful of memory and flash - $15
> PCB work in PRC - $5
> SMT components for PM - $2
> Minor ICs - $10 in quantities of 100k+
> Casing by third party company - $10 in quantities of 100k+
> $107

yeah that looks about right

> Assembly on 3rd tier OEM with all fancyfications and QA- $30-40

naah.

> $145
>
> This is the price if we will simply drop on some random OEM with small
> quantity order. With bigger quantities, cost might be cut almost
> twice.

that's for sure.  it's usually 5 to 10%.  remember - that GPL-violating
CT-PC89E was quoted at $102 in 20k volumes, and the 9in LCDs were *more*
expensive than 10in because they were less common (earthquake in taiwan hit
the older factories harder than the newer earthquake-proofed ones, remember
that?)   those 9in 1024x600 LCDs became pretty popular whilst the
EEEeeeEeeEeEEpc was fashionable, but once that nose-dived the prices went
back up again.