[Arm-netbook] ARM summit at Plumbers 2011

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 17:38:49 BST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> On 2011-08-27 07:55 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> i don't mind that happening: all i want is my damn 1280x800 12in (and
>> importantly $160) ARM-based laptop, damnit :)
>
> I would have thought someone with your experience would know that price
> is completely unrealistic at retail in the west

 i was joking, but i was also serious.  no - it's not [unrealistic].
people have been *trained* to think that it's completely unrealistic.

 as the $150 FOB price of the ipad 1 vs its retail price of $700
demonstrates: people have been TRAINED to pay through the nose for
stuff that's made at rock-bottom prices.

 now, $160 doesn't leave very much room for profit margins, but then
that's the case for x86 hardware right now _anyway_ (10 to 12% for
eeeeveryone in the chain.  not 10% for the manufacturer, 10% for the
middleman, 10% for the sales guy - 10% for EVERYONE).

 * only 6 months ago a GPL-violating laptop with a 10.1in LCD was
available from next called the "SurferPro".  the retail price was
£120.  the reviews were however so shit (because it had been
mis-advertised as a Cortex A9 1ghz when it was in fact an ARM11
GPL-violating Telechips 1ghz) that they had to pull the plug.

 * almost over three _years_ ago there was a highly successful ingenic
jz4740 MIPS CPU which spawned a rash of 7in laptops that ended up
selling off for £95.

so yes, it can be done, mark.

btw, with respect: i have to say that this is the second time you've
sent a message to this list which has, at its heart, "give up,
everybody - the goal of affordable desirable low power computing
appliances is not achievable.  get something expensive or rubbish
instead".

so... whilst this may sound strange, i do have to say it: if you'd
like to spearhead a project that recommends to people that they buy
expensive ARM-based equipment that retails for far more than
equivalent x86 hardware, or if you'd like to spearhead a project that
recommends to people that they buy low-cost equipment that doesn't
actually fulfil their needs, please feel free to do so, but please,
with respect, please keep _this_ list free from such recommendations
at this critical stage of the project.  we have been over these kinds
of products (in both undesirable categories), a number of times
already, over the past 18 months since this list was started.

thank you for respecting the wishes of the project and list
administrators in this regard, mark.