[Arm-netbook] Hanspree Tablet

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:40:08 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> On 2011-08-23 11:53 AM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> it looks like the market's levelling out... already... just as it has
>> on x86 laptops and desktops (10-12% margin for *everyone* in the
>> chain).  no more 50% to 100% margins.
>
> As a data point, my local dept store had a pallet of 280 Touchpads that
> went on sale yesterday at 2pm for $98. They were all gone by just after
> 3pm, one per customer, with a queue back out onto the street.
>
> And the point? Well priced tablets will sell.

 i know!! :)

>> Hannspree Hannspad Tablet
>>
>> ARM A9 DC + Tegra II T20 1GHz
>> 512MB RAM
>> 512MB + 16GB Flash
>> 10.1" Touch LED
>> Bluetooth
>> Android 2.2
>> £155 incl VAT
>
> Resolution: 1024 x 600 pixels (117ppi), USB/HDMI/SD, no camera.
>
> £100 BOM?

 $80 or so.  roughly go through it:

 assume $18 for the CPU.  1ghz, dual-core, this is reasonable (it's
mass-volume now)
 RAM: $8
 battery: $8
 NAND: $1
 LCD: $35
 BT: $1.
 PCB: $3
 Case: $2
 Touchscreen: $2 (not capacitive)
 other pieces: $2.

 ha :)  very funny - that came out _exactly_ at the guess of $80 :)

> I've given up on the right ARM netbook. I suspect there are going to
> be so many tablets to chose from that a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo
> will be far more realistic for the next decade.

 and you're content to reverse-engineer an OS onto the device?  for
each device encountered?  or to wait for the GPL Violations request to
force the manufacturer to comply with the GPL and _then_

 and what about tivoisation?

 anyway - thank you for your insights.  i will not however be giving up.