[Arm-netbook] Single-Core Cortex A9 1ghz, ECC DDR3 RAM available soon

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sun Aug 14 20:02:35 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Baybal Ni <nikulinpi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm glad to hear that we advanced in negotiations even that little. In
> my opinion, just getting started is already good invariably of how we
> do it. Starting with entry level mainstream SoC is completely OK. We
> can scale up it later as many times as we want.

 yes.  the architecture i have in mind allows that to happen....
without needing a complete redesign of the main motherboard or the
box: just swap out the CPU card [50mm x 80mm].  think of those
CPUs-on-SODIMMs and simplify it a bit.

 so, yes absolutely: the architecture involves a split design such
that it doesn't actually matter if you start with an entry-level SoC.
even the 700mhz ingenic jz4760 would do.

> About the price. Almost all of SoCs nowadays score the same on
> openness and features. The main price factor today is "core
> architecture * MHz * nCores", rather than feature set. So this is
> scaleble as well.

 yeh... :) *sigh* i've been inundated with offers for tablits wiv
greeeeat processors that turn out to be ARM11 (e.g. telechips) or ARM9
(e.g. VIA VuunderMedia).  i run this formula for them (core arch * mhz
* nCores * screen-size) and come up with a figure of $30 value instead
of them asking for $70 for an ARM9 tablet (when i know that the BOM
must be around $55), and they get a bit confused...