[Arm-netbook] LCD goes haywire after inactivity

Frans Pop elendil at planet.nl
Tue Mar 30 07:29:03 BST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Adam Gill wrote:
> > Is that with X.Org running or not?
> >
> > Did you install Lenny or Squeeze? Are you running anything at all at
> > that time or just logged into a simple VT?
>
> seems strange to answer at the bottom of the email !....

Well, actually you're not supposed to reply at the bottom either. The
preferred way is to "inline" your reply with the relevant parts of the
mail you're replying to, and to remove anything that's not relevant (like
the standard mailing list footer).

It's really very natural: you reply as you read. But I agree it does take
some getting used to.

> just logging in with nothing running.... even on log in page without
> logging in .. same result!
> installed lenny ........... with XFCE desktop

Right, so you *have* X.Org running. I assume that the "log in page" you
refer to is the one from gdm.

Did you create a /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I had to to get things working)?

If you have one, try adding this:
Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "BlankTime"     "600"
        Option          "StandbyTime"   "600"
        Option          "SuspendTime"   "600"
        Option          "OffTime"       "600"
EndSection

This changes all timeouts to 10 hours, effectively disabling them.

However, it is possible that these settings get overruled by the desktop
environment or something. In that case you will need to use the desktop
configuration options for DPMS settings, or maybe use 'xset'.

Cheers,
FJP